Director ID's are now required to be completed for all directors. To read about applying please click here
October 13, 2021
INTRODUCTION TO DIRECTOR ID’S
As part of the 2020 Budget, the Federal Government has begun implementing the Modernising Business Registers (MBR) program. The MBR program includes the introduction of the Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS) and the Director Identification Numbers (Director ID).
A Director Identification Number is a unique identifier and have been introduced to prevent the use of false or fraudulent director identities. From November 2021, all current directors and anyone wanting to become a director will need to apply for a Director Identification Number.
All directors will need to apply for a Director ID once and will keep it forever. However, if your Director ID Number has not been used for a period of 12 months, the number will be changed to an inactive status. If this occurs, you will then need to re-apply and request for your inactive Director Identification Number to be reinstated to an active status.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
If you became a director on or before 31 October 2021 you must apply by 30 November 2022.
If you become a director between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022 you will need to apply within 28 days of appointment.
From 5 April 2022 you will need to apply for a director ID Number before registering a company.
HOW TO APPLY
All Directors must apply for their Director ID Number themselves. Unfortunately, no one can apply on your behalf. However, we will be here to provide you guidance and assistance through the process. Only directors are required to apply for a Director Identification Number. The number will be used to identify you as a director for all of your companies.
To apply for a Director ID Number you will need to firstly setup a MyGovID. Please see the link below for instructions to help you setup your MygovID. If you have MyGovID setup, you do not need to do anything further until November 2021.
Instructions to set up My GovID:
To apply for a Director Identification Number you will need the required documentation to verify your identity.
• Your tax file number (TFN)
• Your residential address as held by the ATO
• Information from two documents to verify your identity.
Examples of the documents you can use to verify your identity include:
• Bank account details
• An ATO notice of assessment
• Super account details
• A dividend statement
• A Centrelink payment summary
• PAYG payment summary.
You will then be able to login into the ABRS from November 2021 and complete a form to apply for a Director Identification Number. Please use the link below to access the ABRS to complete your online application for your Director Identification Number after November 2021.
For lodging via paper, in addition to the information requested on the form, you will need to provide certified copies of one primary and one secondary identity document. Do not send original documents as these will not be returned to you.
To apply by phone from November 2021, you will need:
• An individual Australian tax file number (TFN). Providing your TFN is optional but it speeds up the process
• Your residential address as held by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO)
• Answers to two questions based on details we know about you
• Two Australian identity documents – one primary and one secondary.
• Australian full birth certificate (extracts and commemorative certificates are not acceptable)
• Australian passport (including passports that have expired in the past two years)
• Australian citizenship certificate or extract from a Register of Citizenship by Descent
• Visa (if you are using a foreign passport but you are still in Australia).
• Medicare card
• Australian driver’s licence or learner’s permit. This must show your photo and signature, and the address on the card must match your details on the form.
WHAT IF I DON’T APPLY
If you don’t apply for a Director Identification Number during the required time-frame, there may be civil or criminal penalties and you may be issued with an infringement notice.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch with us if you need guidance or assistance applying for your Director Identification Number on 1300 722 796 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.